Sunday, August 8, 2010

On being thankful

My oldest son got mixed up at snack time today. In other families, this would not be a big deal. In our family, it's a huge deal.
My oldest son took a bite of his brother's cookie. And immediately, he had second thoughts about going on and eating something without asking us first because he called to myself and my husband Nate "What does my cookie look like?" Nate and I looked at each other (we were in the other room).
"Phin's cookie is a wafer cookie and yours is the oatmeal one." We heard Isaiah start to panic.
We ran downstairs and saw a bite missing from Phin's.
Isaiah is allergic to wheat. He's allergic to peanuts, eggs and peas too. We weren't sure if those things were in those cookies, but we knew there would be wheat in them. My husband grabbed the Benadryl and gave it to a crying Isaiah and he gulped it down.
Then we watched him.
I'm not sure what Nate was thinking during this time, but I know what I was thinking: "Just let him be okay, just let him be okay......"
You know when you get a bag of flour from the grocery store and you bring it home and pour it into its canister? Isaiah can't even be one room away from that process or his eyes will swell up and he'll have an allergic reaction. We have to give him Benadryl just from being around flour at times. Who knew what would happen once he had digested it?
So, we waited. We waited for Isaiah to stop crying. We waited for the Benadryl to do its job. And were grateful.
He did fine. He recovered beautifully. Tonight you wouldn't even guess there had been anything wrong today.
As parents, we pray for protection for our children. I believe there are many things that happen all around us, all day long, where the Lord is protecting our kids. We just don't see it.
Today I got to see it.
I got to see how the Lord protected Isaiah.
He gave him the instinct to ask us about his snack.
What would have happened if he had taken more than that first bite? We don't have to know that answer.
I'm so thankful tonight. Thankful that I love my kids. I love my kids so much. I do whatever I can to protect them.
But the Lord loves them more.

No comments:

Post a Comment