Monday, August 30, 2010

Abounding in Gratitude

This weekend we had a wonderful family trip up to the Ingalls Homestead near De Smet, SD.  This is the location of the homestead claim for Charles and Caroline Ingalls, the parents of the more famously known Laura Ingalls Wilder.  They have a great touristy-educational kind of place set up...there's a dugout home, a shanty, a hay-roof barn, and a replica of the house Pa built along with some other buildings.  There were also people who did narrations/stories/demonstrations of what life was like for the pioneers.  And, bonus, they give a wagon ride out to an old schoolhouse and have a short narrative about school in the 1890's. 

Besides it being a terribly WINDY day, we had a great time.  If I was a photographer, I would post some pictures on here.  But, besides the fact that I need a better camera and I could blame my bad pictures on that, the reality is the batteries in my current crummy camera died halfway through the day - and I, of course, didn't have any backups with me.  In my 'organized defense', I usually have batteries in there, but for some reason someone else had used them and hadn't replenished my supply!  That doesn't happen to anyone else, does it?

But, I'm on here to add to my gratitude list.  NOT gripe about my camera problems! haha

So, on with the list.  My 'theme' today, if you can't tell by reading it,  revolves around the fact that I am NOT a pioneer woman of the 1890's.  And, it makes obvious the fact that I am indeed a big, wimpy 20th century city-girl gal.  Nellie Olson look out!  :)


For all information pertaining to Laura Ingalls Wilder, check out www.destinationlaura.com



61. Automated washers and dryers

62. Soap - millions of kinds and sold in stores everywhere

63. Insulation. And Tyvek.

64. Cars. Roads. Airplanes. ANYTHING transportation-wise that's not a covered wagon.

65. Electric stoves.

66. Furnaces & gas fireplaces.

67. People who sew - clothes, quilts, blankets, coats, gloves, etc.

68. Freezers.

69. Electricity period.

70. Chocolate chip cookies & peanut butter.



holy experience



Here are a few pics from our day at the Homestead...

Dugout - smelled musty inside


The Shanty home - a little better but pretty small!


Trying to get ready for the wagon ride, but Little Man wasn't cooperating


Ahh, that was the prob.  Wanted MaMa.  Me and Mr. Cheese.

Inside the schoolhouse.



1890's school drinking fountain
It is still best to be honest and truthful and to make the most of what you have. - Laura Ingalls Wilder


No comments:

Post a Comment