Thursday, July 15, 2010

Why I Need Grace #1

So the kids and I were out driving this afternoon. Almost a daily occurance, it seems. How have things gotten so busy? What happened to the lazy days of summer?  :)

Anyway, we were stopped at a light and once we started moving again, I could see that the person in the lane next to me wanted to get over.  She had her blinker on, which helped immensely in my determining she wanted to change lanes.  Amazing how that works, isn't it??  haha  I wish everyone had the sense, or courtesy, to use their blinker to tell the world what they were doing! 


So I slowed up a bit so there was plenty of space for her to get over; and, that she did.  She even waved an ackward backwards armed kind of 'Thank You' to me.  At this point I could have basked in the joy of being a good witness, of showing God's love through the kindness of letting a person squeeze into a congested lane of traffic. 

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets."  (Matthew 7:12 NIV)

But no.

What did I do instead?

Well, the lane opened up ahead of me because everyone was moving over into the turning lane.  So I saw an opportunity to catch up and drive by her - so she can have the opportunity to see the fish on the back of my van. 


Yes, I have a fish on the back of my van.  And, I'm not the World's Most Perfect Driver either.  Not a good combination I am aware.  Have I had to cut people off?  Yes.  Have I driven over the speed limit?  Yes.  Have I gotten in an accident?  Yes ( a 4 car pile-up, none the less). 
 
I'm not usually conciously thinking about waving my 'fishy flag' around, so I don't know what my deal was today.  Maybe because of my history of poorly using the fish on the back of my van I wanted to redeem myself a little bit by showing this gal that yes, people with fish on the back of their vehicles were nice people. Did I have to speed a little to 'catch up' to her?  Unfortunately, yes a little bit.  That's when I realized I just cancelled myself out, in a sense.  Oh dear. 


For everything in the world--the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does--comes not from the Father but from the world. (1 John 2:16 NIV)



Thank you, God, for the grace You so freely give me.  Even when I fail You so miserably.

No comments:

Post a Comment