Sunday, September 26, 2010

Soul-FULL Sundays: Things Undone, Things to Do

Do you have a list of things you need to do? 

Does it change every day? 

Are there things on there that have been there for awhile?

Are you a list-fanatic?  Meaning, do you write your list and check it every 5 minutes?

Or are you list-lethargic?  Are you too busy or lazy to write things down on a list?

Maybe you have a bucket list?  Or a list for packing for a vacation?  Or a grocery list?


Whatever kind of person you are when it comes to lists, I'm sure you have a list somewhere, either down on paper or in your head, of things that need to get accomplished.  Today.  This week.  This month. 

We all have things to do, goals to reach, accomplishments to tackle.  But if we focus on tasks our whole life, what will be said of us when we're gone? 

"Gee, she sure kept a good list."  or "He accomplished alot in his life."


Now, I'm not saying lists are bad per se.  Lists are an excellent tool for rememebering everything our pitiful brains can't hold. 

But what is most important to God?  That we get our To-Do list done each and every day?  I don't think so.

There are many scriptures that explain, in not so direct of words, how to 'love what God loves and hate what God hates'.  So the answer to the question 'What is most important to God?' would be to love what He loves. 

What does He love?

John 3:16...For God so loved the world...

Psalm 51:17...the sacrifices [act of pleasing worship] of God are a broken spirit, a broken and contrite heart

2 Corinthians 9:7....God loves a cheerful giver.

John 16:27...No, the Father himself loves you because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God.


God loves people.  God loves people who love Him.  God loves people who love other people.
 
Any time that my tasks become more important to me than how I am treating other people, I do a major check on my heart.  I readjust my priorities.  I come humbly before Him for forgiveness.  I leave some of my 'things to do' as 'things undone'. 
 
What is on your list that needs to really be a 'thing undone'?
 
 
 
God, help me to love what You love and not get distracted by all there is to 'DO' here on earth.  Help me to keep Your kingdom in mind in all I do...in the way I talk to others, the way I serve others, and in the way I plan my to-do's.  Give my discernment to weed out things from my days that are stealing my time away from You and from the glorious purpose You have for me.  Give me strength to let go of addictions to things that don't glorify You or don't further Your kingdom.  Give me peace in a world filled with toil and tribulation.  Thank you, God, for loving me just as I am.  For meeting me where I'm at right now.  Here.  At this time.  Today.  Amen.

1 comment:

  1. This message is very meaningful this week- I am already redoing my list... some things can wait so that some people don't have to.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete