Saturday, October 2, 2010

The body of Christ coming together

My son Isaiah had a severe allergic reaction Wednesday. We figure it was a cross contamination in his food with a peanut. We gave him his Epi Pen and he got to spend a couple hours at the hospital. Then on Thursday, we had a follow-up appointment to see if we were clear to leave town, to visit my parents in Iowa so the boys and I could see my sister and her family and to give my husband a chance to work on our house, repairing the rain damage we got this summer.
We were okayed to leave with warnings that his body could somehow go into a flare up of sorts, starting to think it was being attacked again and would have symptoms of another allergic reaction.
That happened yesterday afternoon and so Isaiah and I were off to my hometown's ER where we got to spend some time and get his steroids upped to help combat his reaction. He didn't go into full anaphalactic shock again, so we are thankful we caught it in time.
So, that is the story of the last couple days. I'm tired. My son is tired. We're all a bit on edge and are almost a little paranoid now.
Now, let me tell you a blessing of all this.
The afternoon we were in the hospital initially, we sent word to a couple friends, our families and the resounding response was "What can we do?" and there was one quick thing that could be done for Isaiah that I asked someone for: a balloon bouquet. I know it may sound silly, but that thing made my son's day.
The next morning, a friend showed up with his favorite: chocolate chip cookies that she knew he would love and that are considered a luxury in our house.
Another friend came over with a book she checked out about some lingering questions I had on peanut allergies.
A grandma called several times and had a good conversation with her grandson this morning.
An aunt called today to tell Isaiah she was sending a super-duper package in the mail. Just for him.
And my mom has re-examined all recipes here at their house where I sit to write this.
My brother-in-law made a way for my sister and myself to go on a walk this morning.
And everyone in this house is showing my overactive little boy grace as he works his way through the steroids and is paying extra attention to his breathing. Uncle Nate had him sit out for a while until he caught his breath. He confided in Aunt Amanda this morning he wasn't breathing well.
I talked with a friend yesterday on the phone who cried with me as we talked about fears for Isaiah.
Here's the thing: we are seeing this body of Christ rally around this little boy and his family. Some want instructions, like to get a balloon bouquet. Some people just go and get the expensive cookies they know Isaiah loves but Mommy and Daddy hardly ever buy him.
It is just flowing.
The prayers are getting me through days with little sleep the night before.
I am reminded once again how the body of Christ, when it is working well and when it is fueled by love, just comes. It just comes around, surrounds us and engulfs us in a way that is hard to explain.
So, for those of you who have prayed for us, thank you. For those of you who have gone above and beyond, thank you.
We feel the love of Christ. Here even in Iowa, away from Nate and our closest friends.
We are being comforted.
I am just so blessed.
And so is that son of mine.


Kristin

1 comment:

  1. What a scary experience with your son. I know that at times we feel helpless as parents. But what a wonderful thing to see the blessings that have come of it.

    And to Amy:
    Thanks for dropping by. I didn't have an email for you, but wanted to tell you that I do my collages in photoshop elements, but you can also opt for a free program called photoscape. The background was also a picture of the week.

    Have a great week!
    alicia

    ReplyDelete